Thursday, March 19, 2009

5 Things Meme

Comment to this post and I will give you 5 subjects/things I associate you with. Then post this in your LJ and elaborate on the subjects given.

Thankyou to Mef (Meg)! She gave me: sailing, high school, curly hair, friends, and toby

Sailing
I haven’t been doing any sailing lately *sigh*. Mostly because my boat is broken and my crew moved. So sad. If it weren’t for my laziness in boat fixing and crew finding however … I sail every Saturday from about August – March except for some weeks off in the Christmas holidays. My club sails a few different classes – Manly Juniors, Flying 11s, 125s and VSs in ascending order of size/speed/difficulty etc. The MJ’s, 11s and 125s are 2 person boats and the VSs are 3 person. I sail a 125. It’s pretty fun. I got into sailing from my dad’s side of the family. My grandfather sailed a bit and my dad has sailed all of his life. We also own a small yacht (an S80 in case you wanted to know J) that we keep near where we live. Quite frankly, sailing rocks and everyone should do it. Something I love about sailing is that even though I only really vaguely know what I’m doing, I generally manage to sail quite well. (Thanks for the genes dad!). Sailing iss definitely something I want to continue doing for the rest of my life. Sailing around the world is a dream of mine :D.

High School
Is finished! I kind of miss it. It’s very disconcerting going from a place where you know everyone and see your friends every day, to a place so huge there is no way you could ever know everyone, and see your friends very rarely. Only 2 of my friends go to my uni, and I don’t even see new friends who are doing my course every day. High school was also great for the teaching. In high school, the curriculum makes sure that everything is covered over an extended period of time. I just completed a terms worth of maths in two weeks o_O. I was great friends with my teachers, and they always checked up on how we were doing. Uni is so not like that. My high school was pretty green – trees and plants all over the place, and it was an all girls school. It was also very close to my home. And the library was all in one place. And they had fiction books in it. Uni isn’t like that so much. Sydney is a fairly green uni with trees and such, but the library is huge. And very confusing.

Curly Hair
Lol. I have curly hair. It’s short right now though L. Having curly hair is fun. Sometimes I wish it was more wavy, so it was easier to wear loose, but most of the time I love it. There are some definite awesome qualities to having curly hair.
1. No one can tell if it hasn’t been brushed/washed in weeks. It’s the curls. You just sort of put it up in the morning and it’s done. Total 2 second hair, but no one can tell. Awesome stuff.
2. For some reason people love curly hair. Which makes it a great conversation starter. I’ve made a couple of friends at uni because we talked about hair. Weird, but useful.
3. I can do anything with my hair. Seriously. Anything. It’s very cool.
4. When I straighten my hair, it’s at least a quarter longer than it was curly. Which is awesome, cause I have an obsession with long hair.
Of course there are some bad things about having curly hair. People like playing with it, and often people aren’t very gentle. And it doesn’t always grow longer. Generally it grows curlier, and I don’t get any extra length. And when it does grow longer the curls relax, which is fine, but my hair starts going straighter on top, which is kinda blah.

Friends
I love my friends. I have 3 very loud brothers. I’m fairly loud and crazy myself. I love that I have a whole lot of people who accept me for me. I don’t usually make friends easily. I’m both painfully shy and terribly gregarious. I either open up to much and scare people off (lol), or I shut down and people don’t bother. I love that my friends understand that. I am getting better though. I am a very friend oriented person. In saying that, I guess I really mean that I need to know I’m appreciated. Whether it’s friends, family or even loving animals, I need the love. Which is why I was seriously considering going to Macquarie, simply because I wasn’t going to have any friends at Sydney. I’m glad I didn’t, but it kind of worries me that I might grow to depend on people like that. I’ve always wanted pets, and that’s really because I’ve never felt that I have a super close friend who completely accepts me and loves me unconditionally. I love that about animals. I find it hard to open up, and whilst I know that my best friends and family do accept me and love me, I have a mindset about animals. I spent a large part of 2008 convincing my mother to let me keep my cockatiel in my room. She wanted him out in the aviary, or around the whole family, but I needed him around me, to myself. I don’t know if that makes sense. I guess it’s because I needed to know that he was mine. That he was there for me. I’m not explaining this very well. Much love and ice cream to you if you get the gist of what I mean.

Tobi
I mentioned Tobi before. My cockatiel, Tobias, is my baby. I got him 4 years ago when he was literally a baby. We got two cockatiels, a grey and a yellow. Apparently the grey (which I wanted) was a girl and the yellow (my brother’s) was a boy. So the grey became Tobi, short for Tobiana (I have an obsession with weird names and spellings), and the yellow became Monty. As they matured, Tobi gained the male colouring and became Tobias, and Monty began to lay (infertile) eggs. After a snake got into our aviary and ate Monty, Tobi was moved inside. Following which I had a long debate with my mother about where Tobi would live. I love Tobi to death. He is the most adorable little bird. He hates fingers, and you can’t get your hands anywhere near him, but he is gentle with his warning bites unless you are too persistent. He hates being left alone, and will scream, but he doesn’t like other birds either. He particularly hates it when I leave him. He’s so sweet. He nibbles me ear in the morning and sings to wake me up.

No comments: